Growing up, tuna salad sandwiches were a staple lunch time spread for my family. My mother LOVED tuna salad sandwiches and we had them pretty much every day. Nowadays, I like to share the same delicious experience with my own kiddo, but I am much pickier about what goes into our tuna salad sandwiches. As an eco-conscious hippy, I also care about how our ingredients are sourced, and that includes the tuna fish we eat!
Thank you Wild Selections® for sponsoring this post. Click here to learn more about Wild Selections®, the only full line of Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified sustainable seafood that gives back to our oceans, ensuring a fish-full future.
Not all tuna is sourced the same
Did you know that over 80% of the tuna brands sold on your grocery shelves in the US, have very unsustainable destructive fishing practices that kill thousands of marine animals every year? Aggressive fishing practices overfish our oceans, leaving us with a dwindling fish supply, while also capturing and killing thousands of sharks, sea turtles, and other untargeted animals. Unfortunately, dolphin safe does NOT mean ocean safe! Many of your favorite grocery store brands are guilty of these unsustainable practices, leaving our oceans a mess. When looking for a sustainable premium quality tuna, I was excited to learn that Wild Selections® fit the bill with all of the qualities I am looking for in a tuna brand. Wild Selections® is:
- Working to ensure a fish-full future: Wild Selections® gives back to the oceans by donating 13 cents from every can sold—a total of $1 million by 2018—to World Wildlife Fund marine conservation and fishery improvement projects
- Only full line of Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified sustainable seafood. The blue MSC eco-label tells you the fish in your can comes from well managed fisheries and healthy fish stocks
- Premium quality, sustainably sourced fish that’s 100% traceable; visit WildSelections.com to learn where the fish in your can was caught
- Simple all natural ingredients and delicious taste
- Non-GMO Project verified
Working to protect marine life & expand sustainable fishing practices
Wild Selections® supports World Wildlife Fund’s efforts to protect marine life and expand sustainable fishing practices globally—a partnership that will create lasting change through a collaboration of business, science, and conservation. Wild Selections® is donating 13 cents from the sale of each can to support WWF and their goal of securing our oceans’ future. You can learn more about why WWF is so excited about working with Wild Selections® here.
Classic Tuna Salad Sandwiches
I am not a fan of fruit in my salads…I know, I know everyone else is…but when I see grapes or raisins in tuna salad, I get a little angry lol. There are no grapes or raisins in this recipe, but please feel free to feed your own taste buds and add them to the recipe, if that’s what you love! I won’t judge, I promise!
- 2 cans Wild Selections certified sustainable tuna (you can also use the store locator to find a grocery store near you that carries Wild Selections)
- 1 large pickle, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped (optional - the kiddo doesn’t like onions, so I usually leave these out if he’s eating with us!)
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like to use my homemade mayo to keep all the icky ingredients out of my sandwiches!)
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices bread (I like to use my own homemade bread, it’s far tastier and sans all the icky ingredients!)
- Using the lid of the tuna can, drain the water from the can into the sink.
- In a medium bowl, combine the drained tuna, pickle, onion, celery, mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Mix together until completely combined.
- Spread tuna across bread slices, top with another slice of bread, and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity by Clever Girls but the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this article. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and are in alignment with The Hippy Homemaker's ideals. Christina Anthis a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.