AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
If you have read through my personal story at all, you are familiar with the plethora of surgeries, nerve pain, narcolepsy, and more that I have dealt with over the years. At this point, I feel like I am an expert in nerve pains. muscle spasms, and every kind of back pain imaginable. My cohost Kylie on the other hand, has been dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis and the many problems her pain brings her daily. Tonight, we are blabbing all about managing pain naturally. Whether you deal with nerve pains, muscle pains, headaches, or some other type of pain, we will be discussing the natural ways that you can deal with and get rid of your pain!
Managing Pain Naturally w/ The Bohemi Babes
Episode 7 (10/27/15)
I used to let pain rule my life, these changes gave me power over my pain
Dealing with nerve pains can be a horrible daily occurrence. I know what it's like to be around people and have to deal with the pains your feeling. On the outside you are trying to give off the perception that you are hunky dory, but inside the knives are stabbing you deep and frequently. It can be impossible sometimes to keep these often occurrences from interfering with your life. When pain starts to rule your life, you find yourself getting lonely, depressed, and hiding from the public. Even your closest friends and family members don't understand why you have stopped being your normal self and hide from any sort of outings because you're afraid to bring down the fun with what is surely to occur. This might even describe someone with other types of pains too. If you deal with daily pain, you know what I am talking about. I used to spend nights awake, crying in pain, and pissed that my hubby was sleeping so soundly and pain-free next to me. My pain Doctor did nothing but keep adding to the dosage of opiates he was prescribing to me. After he suggested we switch to Oxycontin, I decided that I had had enough. There are MANY lifestyle changes and natural remedies that can help with your pain, and all pains can be unique to the person, but these are the options that I use to take care of my body and keep my nerve pains at bay:
- Get the sleep you need - Sleep directly affects every system in your body and if you are lacking in sleep, your body will not be able to function properly. My nerve pains are 10x worse if I have not been getting the sleep that my body needs.
- Eat anti-inflammatory foods - Many foods and herbs have natural anti-inflammatory properties to them and when eaten regularly, they provide your body with these natural properties. Eating foods such as turmeric, ginger, fresh caught fish, fish oil, cherries, hot peppers, and more! Eating foods rich in omegas and B12 are very helpful for nerve issues, pain, and repair!
- Get your omegas - Omega 3 fatty acids improve immune system function, decrease inflammation in your body, prevent nerve damage and lessen nerve pain. Foods that are rich in omega 3's and great for nerve repair are: Fish (Salmon, halibut and tuna), flaxseeds, Chia Seeds, fish broth, basil, oregano, broccoli, spinach, free range eggs, brussel sprouts, olive oil, nuts, cabbage, tofu, green beans, kale and strawberries.
- Avoid neurotoxins in your food, cleaning supplies, cosmetics, and clothing - Many of our cosmetics, clothing, and even foods are sprayed with toxic chemical products that are neuroltoxins and can cause your pain to flare up just by eating them, putting them on your skin, or wearing them! Go organic, wash food and clothing before use when you get home, and start making your own household cleaning supplies to avoid the toxic chemicals that can bring about nerve pains instantly! I recently bought a pair of cotton yoga pants that I knowingly made the mistake of wearing before washing. For the first time in at least a year, I found myself having nerve pains that were so intense I couldn't understand where they came from. After thinking about everything I had done and eaten that day, I realized it was the pants I had put on. Once I removed them and put on pants that were clean, my pains went away within a couple hours. I will never make that mistake again! After washing those same pants and wearing them the next day, I had no pains whatsoever. Go figure!
- Use herbs - There are quite a few herbs that can help with nerve pains, and even other pain, but my two favorites are St. John's wort oil and arnica oil! St. John's wort oil specifically works well for nerve pains and is very easy to make! You can follow the directions for my Muscle Mender oil and even combine arnica with the st. john's wort to make a really great muscle and nerve pain relieving massage oil!
- Avoid alcohol - I know there are those of you who will be appalled by this suggestion, but I tell you what, my nerve pains are a billion times worse and more frequent when I drink alcohol. It never fails, if I haven't felt a pain in awhile and decide to have a couple alcoholic beverages, my nerve pains suddenly come back with a vengeance! I have found that one glass every now and then doesn't have the same affect, so you can partake with your friends every once in awhile, but if you are serious about getting rid of your pain, avoid alcohol!
- Use meditation - To those who don't meditate or don't know how, it may sound very hippy to offer meditation as a method of pain relief and management, but in actuality it's one of my best tools in my pain relief kit! Learn more about meditation's many studied benefits here, and even learn how to meditate if you have never tried!
- Cannabis - If this is legal in your state or country, this is a very viable option for managing MANY types of pain! It has been studied for use in helping patients with nerve pain, sciatica pain, even cerebral palsy, and more! I have even found an immense amount of pain relief from using a salve steeped in cannabis (this doesn't get you high!). If this is legal in your state, it's one of my top recommendations for pain relief.
Don’t miss me LIVE Wednesday Nights 9:30 PM CST
It’s so much fun to engage with you and get the chance to really interact! Come join me on Blab Wednesday evenings at 9:30 CST! I would love to see you there! You can read more about my show here!
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.